It is not until recently that sporting kits manufacturers began taking youth athletes seriously. Initially, almost every product from baseball hats to infield gloves and even cleats were tailored to meet the sporting needs of senior athletes. Due to this, aspiring kids and teenagers were forced to put up with designs meant for the more experienced sportsmen.
With more and more kids emerging as genuine baseball talents, the junior baseball leagues have gained massive popularity over the years. The increased fan base of high-school and college -baseball leagues has led to the development of child and youth-friendly gear.
In this review, we will focus on some of the best cleats for kids looking to take their game to the next level. To help you select the best cleat in the market, we will exclusively focus on the leading brands, explaining more about the pros and cons of the products. We will also provide recommendations to help you understand what exactly to be on the look-out for when looking to buy the best youth baseball cleats.
Below is a review of the best-rated youth baseball cleats for 2019
1. Under Armour Baseball Cleat
The Under Armour Kid’s Leadoff Low RM Jr. Baseball Cleat was designed to enhance a player’s ability to change directions with ease, especially when fielding and running. As a household name in kit and cleat production, Under Armour manufactured the Leadoff Low RM Jr. Baseball Cleats to give young baseballers an easy time out on the pitch. Below are some of its main features.
- Comes with a low-top silhouette that enhances lightness while boosting overall speed.
- Boasts of a mesh tongue that allows for increased breathability, which helps keep the foot dry and cool.
- The cleat combines its Nubuck upper with its well-engineered leather material tomake the product highly durable.
- The presence of an abrasion-resistant forefoot helps prevent injury when pitching/
- Rubber molded cleats utilize rotational tract technology to improve rotational capacity for speed and power.
- The full lace-up closure allows for a snug fit.
- The presence of a full-length ArmourBound midsole protects the user’s leg by absorbing shock.
- Padded tongue and collar for easy removal after play.
- Available in different sizes for children and teenagers and even toddlers.
- The use of a full-length ArmourBound absorbs pressure and reduces the formation of injury-causing pressure points. This plays a massive role in reducing baseball-related injuries that arise due to inexperience.
- The cleats are molded with rubber, which enhances traction, thus allowing players to move and turn with ease. Increased traction translates to improved performance when out on the course.
- Long-lasting due to the use of durable leather material. The utilization of leather materials in manufacture adds value to the cleat, especially if you intend to pass it down to your smaller children.
- Easy to remove and put on due to the padded collar and tongue thus saving your little athlete both time and energy.
- Fits perfectly due to the full lace-up closure. The perfect fit allows children playing baseball to react, run, or catch balls with ease.
- Not appropriate for wide-footed young players due to its narrow design.
If you are looking to add speed and power to your overall game, then The Under Armour Kid’s Leadoff Low RM Jr. Baseball Cleat is your best pick. The cleats are made from rubber and rely on rotational tract technology to improve your overall rotational capacity, speed, and power. Therefore, we recommend Under Armour Kid’s Leadoff Low RM Jr. Baseball Cleat to strengthen your grip when fielding and running.
2. Adidas Performance Kids’ Wheelhouse 4 K
The Adidas Performance Kids’ Wheelhouse 4 K Baseball Cleat is specifically made for children aged 4-12. The kid’s cleat is designed to offer an affordable alternative to expensive baseball cleats for children. Despite its reasonably affordable price, the Performance Kids` Wheelhouse does not compromise on quality. Below are the main features of the pocket-friendly baseball cleat.
- Comes with mesh lining to enhance breathability
- Perforated surface to reduce sweating while improving comfort
- Presence of a lightweight EVA midsole
- Cleats made of molded rubber
- Low top design for increased comfort
- Pocket-friendly due to the low retail price. The low cost allows you to save more since children outgrow their shows quickly.
- Made from ultra-light material thus enhancing usability, especially for young baseball players
- Mesh lining allows for proper breathing during use, thus reducing the chances of discomfort due to sweat.
- The perforations ensure the feet remain dry and well gripped by reducing sweating.
- The EVA midsole improves overall cushioning, allowing kids to play with ease without caring about landing or pressure points.
- Presence of molded rubber improves overall traction while also increasing the cleat’s overall durability.
- Not as durable as costlier cleats
Breaking the bank on baseball cleats might not be the best idea, especially if your child is below eight years. Children under five years grow quick and might need affordable alternatives to long term cleats. The Adidas Performance Kids’ Wheelhouse 4 K Baseball Cleat provides an affordable option that can last long enough until your child outgrows them. Designed to offer comfort, you can rest assured that your little athlete will remain free from shoe-related injury. Even better, the perforations and mesh surfaces allow for improved breathing by reducing sweating during play.
3. Mizuno 9 Spike Youth Molded Cleat
Appropriate for baseball learners such as small kids and teenagers, the Mizuno 9 Spike ADV YTH FRHSE 8 BK-WH Youth Molded Cleat is one of the most popular baseball shoes in the market. The big kid designs are meant for children aged 8-12 while the small kids’ size caters for children aged 4-8. Below are Mizuno 9-spike Youth Molded Cleat`s main features.
- Presence of a well-padded tongue to offers provide extra comfort
- State of the art lace-up cleat closure mechanism
- Comes with rubber studs at the bottom of the cleat to enhance versatility
- Full-length mid-sole to increase absorption of pressure
- 9-spike highly advanced outsole to improve traction
- Rubber sole
- 100% synthetic
- Lightweight in design to allow for faster sprints and reactions
- The lace-up cleat closure mechanism ensures that children can tighten the shoe for utmost comfort. Your little sportsman no longer has to strain in regards to finding fitting cleats.
- The padded tongue serves to enhance comfort when getting physical during games. This allows young athletes to play for long without sustaining injuries.
- Presence of a full-length midsole helps absorb pressure when running in the field. The pressure-absorbing feature makes the Mizuno 9 Spike ADV YTH FRHSE 8 BK-WH Youth Molded Cleat convenient for young players.
- Well-cushioned interior protects the toe and the forefoot region. This eradicates the risk of shoe-related injuries.
- The rubber studs enhance grip, thus making the product appropriate for different fields
- The rubber sole makes the youth baseball cleat durable, ensuring it remains in use until your child outgrows it.
- The 9-spike outsole increases versatility as the cleat can be used for major or minor league games.
- Usable for long periods during game time.
- Not a wide variety of colors to select from
The Mizuno 9 Spike ADV YTH FRHSE 8 BK-WH Youth Molded Cleat is without a doubt among the most comfortable baseball shoes in the market. The 9-spike outsole ensures that your sporting boots will serve you throughout the game regardless of the pitch of play. Even better, the padded tongue and lace-up closure feature make the cleat one of the most convenient for use.
4. Nike Kids Huarache Baseball Cleat
When it comes to style, very few cleats can match the Nike Kids Huarache 2KFilth Keystone Baseball Cleat. The classy youth baseball cleat boasts of a fashionable mesh collar that combines perfectly with the tongue to increase ventilation during use. The availability of over six different designs makes the cleat one of the classiest in the market. Read on to find out the more about the hugely popular kid’s baseball shoe.
- Comes equipped with a well-cushioned tongue and mesh collar
- Combines mesh construction with a neatly designed synthetic upper
- The baseball cleat boasts of a snug lace-up mechanism for enhanced comfort
- Stylish design
- The outsole has flex groves
- Steady insole for protection when playing for long periods
- Convenient for young baseball players due to the lace-up closure mechanism. Young players can adjust the cleat’s lace to ensure it fits perfectly.
- Has a unique, trendy design that enhances style and appeals to fashion lovers. Team members can select from a wide range of designs.
- Kids can select from different color schemes, which allows them to enjoy their time in the field while also maintaining their style.
- The presence of flex grooves improves overall traction as well as flexibility during use. This allows youth baseball players to manage movements like professional athletes.
- The thick insole absorbs pressure making it appropriate for speedsters and kids learning to bat or run. You can relax knowing that your little athlete won’t sustain cleat related injuries.
- Durable due to the presence of flex grooves on the cleat’s outsole. The grooves help to reduce wear and tear during use.
- The low-cut design makes it lightweight enough to allow for speedy runs.
- The outsole flex grooves increase the cleat’s range of motion, giving children the ability to turn and run like experienced pros.
- Slightly uncomfortable for wide footed kids
The Nike Kids Huarache 2KFilth Keystone Baseball Cleat is easily among the leading cleats for young baseball players. The unique and trendy design ensures that your kid stands out when out in the field. Even better, the cleat’s comfort-enhancing features such as a thick insole and lace-up closure ensure your child has fun when playing in junior baseball tourneys.
5. Nike Boys’ Vapor Ultrafly Baseball Cleats
Featuring the highly effective Flywire technology, the Nike Boys’ Vapor Ultrafly Keystone BG Baseball Cleat is designed to fit young baseball enthusiasts perfectly. The highly-rated baseball cleat for young children comes with a unique, minimalistic outlook to reduce overall weight and allow for swift movement. Below are the main features of the Nike Boys Vapor Ultrafly Baseball Cleats
- Utilizes Flywire technology in its overall design
- Minimalistic design to reduce additional weight
- Midsole made of Phylon to improve cushioning
- Boasts of a 12-cleat neat design
- The outsole has flex grooves to improve motion and turning ability
- The use of Flywire technology ensures that your child remains perfectly strapped during play. The perfect fit guarantees enjoyment for your child, especially when attempting to catch balls or making runs.
- The cleat’s minimalistic design makes it lightweight and appropriate for use by both boys and girls learning to play baseball. The lightweight property ensures that children do not tire even after hours out in the field.
- The high-quality midsole made from Phylon provides fantastic cushioning for your young athlete. This allows your kid to run and jump around without the fear of injury.
- The flex grooves located on the outsole assist in walking, running, and making turns while at high speeds during play.
- Presence of 12-cleats improves traction, which makes it convenient for use in different baseball fields. A large number of cleats increase control during movement, thus making turning and acceleration easier.
- Made from both durable leather as well as synthetic, which increases the durability of the cleat
- The TPU Mesh allows for proper ventilation when playing out in the field. Kids can play for hours nonstop without sweating.
- The cleat is available in only limited designs, which makes it less appealing to kids looking to make a fashion statement.
The Nike Boys’ Vapor Ultrafly Keystone BG Baseball Cleats are second to none when it comes to perfect fitting. The cleat boasts of a full bootie technique construction which creates a sock-like, ideal fit. Moreover, the presence of mesh and synthetic leather makes the shoe lightweight and appropriate for young baseball players.
6. Under Armour Boys’ Deception
The Under Armour Boys’ Deception Mid RM Jr. Baseball Cleats is one of the most comfortable cleats for kids in the little league. Under Armour has created a good reputation when it comes to child-friendly cleats. Made from synthetic material, the Under Armour Boys’ Deception Mid RM Jr. Baseball Cleats are specifically designed to outlast the user. The presence of an ArmourBound inspired midsole protects your young athlete when out enjoying the game of baseball. Read on to unearth some of the main features of this long-lasting cleat.
- Utilizes UA ClutchFit technology to protect ankles
- Rubber molded durable cleats
- ¾ length ArmourBound inspired midsole for additional comfort
- Custom laces to match your child’s team colors
- Uses a lace-up mechanism to allow for a perfect fit
- The Under Armour Boys’ Deception Mid RM Jr. Baseball Cleats comes with a web-inspired pattern designed to wrap around your kid’s foot for extra protection.
- ClutchFit technology has a lightweight but effective second skin for providing incredible support and allowing for fast movements.
- The availability of customizable laces ensures that your child can match the cleats with his or her team’s uniform.
- The cleats are rubber molded to provide unrivaled traction to allow for smooth movements during play.
- The ArmourBound inspired midsole runs for almost ¾ of the cleat, making it super comfortable, especially when it comes to pressure absorption.
- The interior and tongue are well padded, thus allowing for extra cushioning to reduce the occurrence of play-related injuries.
- The cleats utilize UA’s well regarded rotational traction mechanism, which is meant to improve your child’s range of motions when out on the field.
- For fashion or color lovers, the Under Armour Boys’ Deception Mid RM Jr. Baseball Cleats comes with seven custom colors to choose from. This allows your little baseball player to enjoy matching with teammates or even the team’s official kits.
- Appropriate for youth players with a history of sustaining on-field injuries due to its unique ClutchFit upper, which provides extra protection to users.
- Concerns about the durability of the cleat’s material
The Under Armour Boys’ Deception Mid RM Jr. Baseball Cleats are easily among the best products in the market when it comes to injury prevention. The presence of an ArmourBound midsole means your child directly benefits from Under Armour’s unique comfort-enhancing mechanism. Moreover, clutchfit technology allows for a perfect fit to increase comfort during play.
7. Boys Under Armour Leadoff
The Boys Under Armour Leadoff Mid Jr. Baseball Cleat boasts of a Nubuck upper that provides extra comfort while increasing the cleat’s durability. The cleat stands out due to its lightweight feel despite being made from high-quality leather. The cleat boasts of a mid-profile neat construction, which allows youth players to move freely on a baseball course. Below are some of the main features of the Under Armour cleats.
- Nubuck upper for increased comfort and durability
- Incorporates a toe piece in its design to reduce wear and tear
- Mesh tongue for in-shoe ventilation and breathability
- Lace-up design for a snug fit
- The presence of a mesh tongue ensures youth baseball players have a smooth, sweat-free time at the baseball course.
- The toe cap fights off abrasion, thus preventing wear and tear from reducing the cleat’s lifespan
- The Boys Under Armour Leadoff Mid Jr. Baseball Cleat is made from light, high-quality material that allows your child to focus on the game.
- The mid-profile unique construction provides additional stability, thus enabling your little athlete to bat or catch speedy balls with ease.
- Convenient for first-time baseball players as it is light and easy to move around with.
- Boasts of a simplistic design that contributes to the cleat’s overall lightness.
- Not ideal for youth players with wide feet due to its narrow design.
The Boys Under Armour Leadoff Mid Jr. Baseball Cleat is widely considered to be the best cleat for children starting out in baseball. The neat lightweight design allows your little athlete to focus more on the game as opposed to issues regarding size the cleat’s fitting ability. Moreover, the toe caps are very instrumental in preventing gradual wear and tear due to repetitive use. Therefore, we recommend using the Boys Under Armour Leadoff Mid Jr. Baseball Cleat if you want to give your little baseball player an edge when it comes to speed and reflexes.
Now that we have critically assessed some of the leading cleats in the youth baseball players category, the ball is now in your court to make the right purchase. For small children, we recommend going for low-budget cleats since young players outgrow their kits and cleats rather quickly. However, we also advise that you check on factors such as comfort, durability, ventilation mechanisms, ease of cleaning, and fitting ability before making any purchase. Also, be careful to confirm on size to ensure you select the perfect fit for your young athlete.
Remember, the best cleats are those that fit your child perfectly. Therefore, avoid going for larger sized cleats in a bid to save on repurchasing costs. Buying oversized shoes increases the chances of injury due to discomfort for your little athlete.